Clear The Air News Tobacco Blog Rotating Header Image

November 25th, 2015:

Young father may never walk again after e-cigarette EXPLODES in his mouth and breaks neck

A STUDENT nearly died after an e-cigarette exploded in his mouth – leaving him with a broken neck, burnt mouth and shattered spine.

Cordero Caples was left fighting for his life after he broke his neck and several bones in his face, lost his front tooth and burned his mouth when the device exploded during his work break on Friday.

The young father-of-one was studying to be a personal fitness trainer but now fears he may never walk again.

The 29-year-old underwent emergency spinal surgery on Sunday and is “lucky to be alive”.

He now faces a series of surgeries as he prepares for a “long and intensive recovery”.

To make matters worse, Mr Caples does not have medical insurance and faces extortionate costs to pay for his hospital bills under the US healthcare system.

His sister has since set up a GoFundMe page in order to try and raise money for his recovery and rising medical bills.

The manufacturer of the device has not yet commented on the tragic case that took place in Colorado.

But, tech experts believe that the explosion can be traced to “operator error”.

It is beleived that the Mr Caples had been charging the device, which was made in China, with a battery was that too powerful.

Colessia Porter, his sister, said: “It’s going to be a long, intensive recovery process.”

“He has a very outgoing personality. He’s that guy that can do whatever in the world he wants to do.

“He’s really, really into fitness, and he’s really good at it.

“That’s what he was in school to do, but with an injury like this, it puts those things in question.”

“He’s going to need 24-hour care for a while and constant monitoring from family and friends and loved ones. It is heart breaking.”

There have been at least 25 serious incidents involving e-cigarettes in the past five years – with many suffering facial and legs burns after the devices suddenly exploded.

A young man in California, Vicente Garza, had to undergo an amputation last month after an e-cigarette expoded in his mouth.

The case follows a US federal report in 2014 that warned the specific batteries e-cigarettes use mean that they can become “flaming rockets” if the battery fails.

Three men in California are currently in the ongoing lawsuit against e-cigarette companies amid rising concerns over their safety.

One of the men’s attorney’s, Greg Bentley, said: “It’s unconscionable that these products are out there, and they are randomly exploding all across the country.

“This is an unregulated industry, that is causing tremendous harm across the world.”

In October, the US banned e-cigarettes from checked baggage on airlines to protect against the risk of in-flight fires.

Pupils ‘use e-cigarettes as gateway to smoking’

SCHOOL pupils are using e-cigarettes as a gateway to smoking, according to a new study which raises concern over the “misleading promotion” of the products.

The research also found that most high school students find the fruity, sweet-like flavourings of e-cigarette liquids attractive.

It was suggested that some pupils use e-cigarettes to dupe their parents, who would otherwise smell tobacco on their clothes.

Others told researchers that they had seen fellow pupils openly selling and smoking e-cigarettes in class.

The study was led by researchers from Edinburgh and Stirling University, and published by the Royal Society for Public Health.

The team – led by Dr Marisa de Andrade – interviewed 182 13-to-16 year-old students from seven schools across Fife.

The study said: “In one school, it was suggested that up to 30 students used e-cigarettes and some then went on to use cigarettes.”

Pupils from the school told researchers: “I think that’s why most people go on from e-cigarettes to actual cigarettes, just to see what it’s like, the actual ones, and then they get addicted to it.”

Another added that e-cigarette users “might not feel like they’re getting anything from the e-cigs, like a kick from it, they might get a better kick from a fag”.

Others told of the growing popularity of vaping, with one saying: “At one point I just saw everyone walking around with them … we all had one.”

Another teenager from the same school told the researchers “people in the school were selling them” and a pupil had been seen smoking in class.

They said: “I thought it was a pen until I saw the smoke coming out of his mouth in English.”

Several of the students also told researchers that e-cigarettes are more acceptable than regular cigarettes as they do not “leave a trace of smell”.

One said: “Your parents won’t know either because if you’re out with friends and they’re all smoking and that, and you decide you want to have one then they’ll smell it on you.

“But if you have an e-fag then they can’t smell it on you at all.”

In the course of their research the academics also found that many of the students compared e-cigarettes with sweets.

One pupil said that vaping device itself “looks like sweets” as others told them “I just wanted to try it because it was, like, a fruity flavour.”

Another described the smoke of e-cigarettes as “a powdery flavoured thing … almost like a sherbert” as others said that – like sweets – the e-cigarette fluids are “really cheap” and readily available in newsagents and corner shops.

One said: “I work in a shop and at the till area … there is a massive line, it’s like a metre long, of different flavours. There is blueberries, bananas , Red Bull, Lucozade flavours, apple.”

The study concludes: “Much more needs to be done to protect children from misleading messaging and promotion.”

Sheila Duffy, chief executive of Action on Smoking and Health (ASH) Scotland, said: “E-cigarettes are less harmful than tobacco but are not completely safe and we believe there should be restrictions on advertising that targets children.”

Public Health Minister Maureen Watt said: “The Scottish Government agrees that electronic cigarettes need appropriate regulation.

“While we accept that the devices may potentially help people smoke fewer cigarettes, or even stop altogether, we recognise that there are also risks involved.

“We have included a range of provisions to regulate the sale of these products in the Health Bill which is being considered by the Scottish Parliament at the moment.

“It contains measures to regulate e-cigarettes including age restrictions, proxy purchase, marketing restrictions and the creation of an e-cigarette retailers register.”

She added: “Local authorities are responsible for ensuring schools are health promoting.”