Clear The Air News Tobacco Blog Rotating Header Image

Woman suffers 60pc burns in flats drama

Woman suffers 60pc burns in flats drama

Two women were injured, one seriously, in a fire at Shau Kei Wan believed caused by cigarette butts.

Nectar Gan

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Two women were injured, one seriously, in a fire at Shau Kei Wan believed caused by cigarette butts.

The fire broke out about 1.45pm yesterday in a room at a 753-square- foot flat on the seventh floor of the 25-story King Fai Building on Main Street East.

It was put out within 35 minutes.

However, a 54-year-old woman who lives in the flat, identified as Ma, suffered burns to 60percent of her body. She was taken to Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital but later transferred to the intensive care unit at Queen Mary Hospital.

The other woman, 48, was found on the 11th floor staircase suffering from smoke inhalation. She was taken to Pamela Youde, where her condition was said to be stable.

Sixty residents of the building were evacuated to the roof and the street after several explosions were heard. Nine fire engines and three ambulances attended.

Sai Wan Ho senior station officer Tse Man- pong said smoldering cigarette butts were found in the room where the fire started.

Tse said one of the windows was blown out, possibly because of the high room temperature caused by the fire and the resulting pressure buildup in the closed area.

He said there were three rooms in the flat although he could not confirm whether it had been subdivided.

However, a Mr Wong, 71, said the flat was subdivided into four rooms and he moved into one of them five months ago.

Altogether, six people shared the flat, Wong said.

He told how he was in his room when he smelled something burning and rushed out to see smoke coming out from under the door of his neighbor, Ma. “I asked her to leave but she wouldn’t,” he said.

“I then rushed down to the street, leaving all my belongings in the flat.”

Wong alleged that Ma was trying to commit suicide. “I think she did it on purpose and poured oil on her bed.”

He said Ma and her husband had lived in the apartment for a few years.

However, he seldom talked to her.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>