Clear The Air News Tobacco Blog Rotating Header Image

E-Cigarette Explodes in Man’s Face, Puts Him in a Coma

As a recent e-cig enthusiast, this story is particularly troubling. Perhaps this will help me stop my e-cig habit, therein making me look like less of a douche, and possibly reducing my likelihood of ending up in the hospital in an explosion-induced coma.

A Miami man is now in the hospital after an e-cigarette blew up in his face. “I was laying in bed with my two-year old and I heard an explosion,” Ema Richardson told CBS. “Then I started smelling burning, smoke and fire.”

According to CBS, “Richardson said when she went into another room she found her 21-year old brother Evan Spahlinger on the floor.” His face and the upper part of his body were covered in soot from the e-cig, which had exploded.

“I found my brother not breathing with his whole face burned and his neck burned and trying to throw up a little or maybe he was gasping for air. They said he has internal and external burns and damage to his lungs from the explosion itself and possibly the mouth piece went, when the cigarette exploded it went down his throat and exploded again,” she said.

According to CBS, North Collier Fire Control and Rescue said the explosion was most likely caused by the device’s lithium battery. Richardson said her brother will never use an e-cig again. With all luck, I won’t either.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>